Vancouver School of Expressive Arts TherapyExpressive Arts Therapy.
2014 - 2015
Studied movement/dance, visual arts, music, poetry and community arts within the expressive arts tradition.
Vancouver Art Therapy InstituteAdvanced Diploma: Art Therapy
Professional Art Therapist.
2009 – 2011
The University of CalgaryMaster of Social Work (MSW), Clinical Social Work.
Coursework completed 1995.
Thesis completed 2009.
The University of CalgaryBachelor of Social Work, Social Work.
Simon Fraser UniversityBachelor of Arts (B.A.).
Thesis AdvisorEuropean Graduate School through Vancouver School of Expressive Arts Therapy.
2015 - Present.
• Advisor for masters level students in the development and writing of their thesis in partial fulfillment for the degree of Master of Arts in Expressive Arts Therapy, European Graduate School, Switzerland.
Professional Art Therapist / TherapistArt & Possibility Counselling - Kamloops
May 2013 – Present
• Adult, Adolescent & Group Therapy
• Training, Workshops & Clinical Supervision
Adult Mental Health TherapistInterior Health - Community Mental Health and Substance Use.
November 2010 – Present
• Individual assessment and treatment of adults with mental health issues.
• Specialty in mood dysregulation, trauma and transgender issues 2010 – present.
• Design and delivery of skills based psycho-educational and art therapy groups regarding mood management, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues.
• Adolescent and Family Therapist - Eating Disorder Program 2010-2015.
• Assessment and treatment of adolescents diagnosed with an eating disorder and their families within a multidisciplinary team.
Integrated Practice Mental Health ClinicianChild and Youth Mental Health, Ministry of Child and Family Development.
2007 – 2010.
• Assisted in the development and design of the integrated practice team model embedding mental health clinicians on child protection teams.
• Provided consultation to social workers and clinical services to children and youth involved with child protection services (MCFD) including individual assessment and treatment.
• Provided on-going consultation and support to foster parents.
Clinical Social WorkerRoyal Inland Hospital - Interior Health.
2007 – 2010.
• Clinical social worker (casual) in the Department of Psychiatry.
• Provided psycho-social assessments, discharge planning and individual and group therapy.
Social WorkerMisericordia Hospital.
2002 – 2006.
• Provided assessment, discharge planning, counselling and crisis intervention to various hospital units (casual position).
Therapist - Family Intervention WorkerCreating Solutions Inc.
1999 – 2004.
• Specialized in delivering individual and couple therapy. Worked primarily with First Nations adults, adolescents and children through Medical Services Branch.
• In home family counselling with families involved with child protection system 1999-2001.
CounsellorNorth East Teen Centre, Edmonton, Alberta.
August 1999 – January 2003.
• Provided individual and group counselling, crisis intervention, assessment, community liaison and referral for adolescents as well as consultation to staff.
Social Worker - CounsellorCity of Edmonton - Community Services.
April 1995 – June 1999.
• Provided intake services, initial assessment and crisis intervention.
• Provided short term counselling primarily to adolescents, children, and their families.
TherapistShewchuk-Dann & Associates.
January 1997 – August 1998.
• Provided individual therapy to adult, adolescent and child clients with First Nations ancestry as well as children’s social skills group.
• Primarily used play, art therapy and expressive techniques.
School CounsellorEdmonton Catholic School Board.
September 1996 – January 1998
• Individual assessment, therapy and referral for grades 7 - 9 and their families as necessary.
• Co-facilitated group psychotherapy program.
Family School Liaison WorkerWestlock and District Family and Community Support Services.
May 1992 – September 1994.
• Provided assessment, counselling, clinical and referral services to rural schools (K-12) within the district.
• Developed and conducted psycho-education groups for children and adolescents.
• Developed and participated in a number of community development projects.
Certifications & Trainings
Clinical Social Work Supervision
Indigenous Cultural Safety TrainingProvincial Health Authority Indigenous Health Program
Core ICS Mental Health
CBT EssentialsAllan Clarke - Interior Health Authority
Emotion Focused Family Therapy (EFFT)Introductory training
Dr. Joanne Dolhanty and Adele Lafrance - instructors
Somatic Experiencing Training Level 1 & 2Somatic Experiencing® Trauma Institute
2013 - Present
Motivational Interviewing level IPaul Burke Training
Certificate of Achievement in Complex Trauma - Graduate levelJustice Institute of British Columbia
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)level 1 & 2
Marshall Wilensky instructor
Aboriginal Family SystemsFour Winds Wellness - Jann Derrick instructor
Family Based TherapySt. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver BC
Eating disorder treatment - introductory training
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)Behavioural Tech Inc.
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral TherapyCBT Connections
Connect Parent TrainingConnect Parent
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for AnxietyCBT Connections, Vancouver
Professional Registration & Memberships
British Columbia College of Social Workers (BCCSW) #09967Registered in good standing since 2010
British Columbia Association of Social Workers (BCASW)Member in good standing since 2005
Canadian Art Therapy Association (CATA) #9433702Professional Member in good standing
Alberta College of Social WorkersMember in good standing 1990-1992
Registered in good standing 1992-2007 (let lapse)
Expressive Arts Therapy
Mindfulness Based Art Therapy
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
Somatic Experiencing Therapy (SE)
Solution-Focussed Brief Therapy
Food and eating issues
Grief and loss
Burnout and stress